Thursday, June 20, 2013

Food, Cherries & a Banquet



Food
For the past few weeks I have been taking pictures of some of the meals we have here. All of it is pretty normal, nothing too crazy. But I thought I would show you anyways :)




Tochitura - (pronounced toe-ca-tour-a) Polenta with beef and sauce





Pastries




Chicken & vegetable soup




Slata de Vinete - grilled eggplant spread with onions and mayonnaise






Homemade cherry cobbler






Apple pie flakey pastry with ice cream and cherry sauce






Schnitzel with french fries and tomato cucumber salad







Curry chicken with rice







Sweet bread







Chicken with potatoes





Papanasi - (pronounced papa-nawsh) Savory doughnut served with sour cream and jam








Cinnamon sugar muffins





Salad






Shwarma - Romanian Fast food: pita wrap, french fries, chicken, pickles, cabbage, tomatoes, cucumbers and garlic sauce.





Cherry Picking
On Monday night Brandon and I and the 2 other interns got to spend the night at the girls transition home in Snagov. Tuesday the short term team that is visiting went to Sania to visit the Peles (pronounced Pell-ish) Castle and to do some touristy things. And since we already went to the Peles Castle we got to spend the day with Josh and Missy - a couple that is serving long term here. They had to do some house cleaning, yard work and cherry picking. Brandon and Josh mowed the lawn and did some weeding in the garden. While Missy and I did the cherry picking. But Missy and I could only get so far since we are both short. So we recruited Brandon to climb high in the tree to get the cherries from the top. It was a lot of fun. After the yard work was complete we washed & pitted the cherries to make the cherry cobbler that I showed you above. It was delicious!!




Becky reaching for cherries




Brandon up in the tree




School Banquet
Today was the last day of school here in Romania. And we were invited to attend an end of the year banquet that they hold for the kids at the Peris orphanage. H2H has an orchestra class with some of the kids there - Biola University donated instruments, stands and other need equipment to hold the class. So the orchestra preformed one song and three of the kids preformed solos. Then there was some singing and they put on a play - this year it was The Jungle Book. The kids did a great job. The teacher in charge was very creative with their costuming. The elephants had large paper ears and a tie around there head and hanging down the middle of their face for their nose. I was thankful to just observe their excitement. After the skit some of the teachers handed out awards. Our whole team took on the role of the parents - we cheered and yelled and took tons of pictures and we were all so proud of our kids. I loved getting to support them all in that way. I was praying that they would feel special and loved. Right before some of the performances some of the kids would run up to me and remind me to take pictures of them and others that were not preforming would snuggle close in my lap awaiting their turn. Some of those kids in my lap were 15 years old. This is still a strange concept to me because if I was at youth group in America there is no way any of the 15 year old boys would be sitting any where near me let alone sitting in my lap. But I loved having that time with each of them. God has been growing some really great friendships.















Prayer Requests
~For direction and clarity on how to encourage all the kids.

~I am praying for protection for all the kids - physically, emotionally and spiritually. I am still praying Psalm 119 over them.

~For direction and ideas for summer camps. Summer camps will be held the first three weeks in July.



Love, Brandon & Becky









No comments:

Post a Comment